All Saints' Church - Description by Sir Stephen R Glynne (1863)
This was published in "Notes on the Churches of Kent" (London, 1877)
Click to return to Homepage, History Homepage
A small church, in a dreary situation, consisting of nave and chancel; south porch, and a wooden belfry with small spire over the west end. The walls have been lately reconstructed in great measure, and a new vestry added on the north. The materials are flint and rubble ; but some brick buttresses have been added. The west window is Perpendicular, of two lights. In the nave on the north, appears the little narrow single .Norman window, set high as at Ridley. On the south is another Norman window ; and one with two cinquefoiled lights. One window is of two lights without foil, and another on the south, next the chancel, is oblong and set low. The chancel arch is pointed, very small and plain. In the chancel on the north is a lychnoscopic single lancet trefoiled. The east window is a new one, of three unfoliated lights. The interior has open seats, and seems to be well arranged. The doorway within the south porch has a semi-circular head internally; the door has some remarkably good old iron-work.