Roads of Hartley - Northfield (DA3 7EW)
Click on image for larger picture
Numbers 2-12 and junction with Culcroft.
|Northfield is a road of 38 houses in the Wellfield Estate between Merton Avenue and Quaker's Close. The houses are all terraced in blocks of 4 to 6. Originally these were all council houses, but the majority are now owner occupied
(25/38 at January 2005).
The road was built in about 1974 on land that had been part of the Payne and Trapps estate. Had this estate been built as envisaged, then Merton Avenue would have continued as far as Woodland Avenue, and there would have been a road called Porchester Crescent roughly where Northfield is today (see outline of road on German Aerial photo of 1940). However as long ago as 1960 Dartford Rural District Council had other ideas for the development of this part of Hartley, which included their compulsorily purchasing the land. They also did not like the planned Porchester Crescent, wanting to "introduce some variation by way of curved streets and incidental open spaces to avoid the dull monotomy of the layout as originally proposed." Going further back in time Northfield overlays two fields belonging to the farm Mintmakers (Church Road). Approximately 1-33 (odd) and 2-12 (even) were part of an 18 acre field called Care Field, while the remainder belonged to a 12 acre field that once extended across the railway, called Haddocks (see Kent Archaeology map)
Details of the history of the houses are set out below. Because the road bears no relation to the way Payne & Trapps laid out the estate in the early 1900s, the identification of the plot numbers is a bit of an inexact science.