Roads of Hartley - Quakers Close (DA3 7EA)
KCC Road Number: U12831 - Unclassified single carriageway (238 metres long)
Quaker's Close is a mixture of 8 detached bungalows, 6 detached houses and 10 semi-detached houses, off Hoselands Hill. Access for vehicles is via Ash Road, but there is also a pedestrian footway to the Wellfield Estate.
Quaker's Close, like Copse Side and Hottsfield, was once part of a field called Hottsfield. For centuries this field had gone with New House Farm in Church Road, which was owned in the 1920s by George Day, who lived at North Ash Manor House (now Bovis's headquarters). In 1924 he sold Miss Edith Capper 4 acres of land, on which she built the house called "The Pales". She was a devout member of the Society of Friends (Quakers), which is the origin of the road's name. In the 1960s most of the land was sold B W Brazier (Anerley) Limited, who got planning permision in 1964 to build the road. However The Pales still remains (with a very much smaller garden). The houses were completed in the period 1967-70. The houses are named, but it seems the developer expected street numbering. In 1967 one of the houses would have set you back £5,895.
The last two houses in the close - Chestnuts and Marrons have a different history, as they were part of the Payne and Trapps estate (plots 241 and 242 on the former Porchester Crescent) and were built later than the other houses.
Originally the council did not want vehicular access onto Hoselands Hill and this is reflected on the deed plan, but after a site meeting in 1969 the County Council decided to suspend this decision indefinitely. However it was eventually agreed (1979) that the developer could build on the land reserved for the proposed Wellfield access, so long as they did not apply for permission to build across the Ash Road entrance. Thus Warrens and the Chestnuts were added about then.
Fairacre Place, a small side road of 3 detached houses, along with Timothy House and Charlotte House on Hoselands Hill, were all built in 1993 on the site of a bungalow called Fairacre, which was built in 1954 on land formerly belonging to The Pales (planning permission 53/242, the architect's plans are deposited in the county records office).
List of houses with approximate
dates of construction