Click Here for Site Index 

Roads of Hartley - St Johns Lane (DA3 8ET), Grange Way (DA3 8ES)

Gallery
Click on image for larger picture
St John's Lane, Hartley, Kent - Church Road entrance
Church Road entrance

St John's Lane, Hartley - looking SW to Rectory
Looking south-west to the Rectory

St John's Lane, Hartley - Orchard Cottage
 Orchard Cottage

St John's Lane, Hartley - late 1960s
Picture of the road before widening in 1968 by Winifred Iddison

Grange Way, Hartley, Kent - from St John's Lane

Grange Way entrance

St John's Lane (often pronounced "sinjins lane" locally), is one of Hartley's ancient roads, linking Church Road and Ash Road.  It has two Smallowners built houses dating to the early 20th century (Glebe House and Orchard Cottage), but the remaining 19 houses date to the 1960s and 1970s.  The road was originally named, but is now numbered.

The origin of the name is unclear, as there are no obvious links in Hartley to St John, the Church for example is dedicated to All Saints' and the field names do not provide any clue.  We are also hampered by a lack of pre-20th century references to the name of the road.  Up until the late 1960s the road was very narrow and difficult to pass, locals had asked for widening in the 1930s, but it was not until 1967 that this was actually achieved.

The even numbers were built at the same time as Billings Hill Shaw on land that had belonged to Hartley Grange (a Smallowners house built in about 1918) by George Wimpey & Co Ltd.  The odd numbers were built on other Smallowners era properties - 1 St Johns Lane was once the centre of a smallholding which included 1-15 St Johns Lane, the Church Centre and the houses around that.  The modern houses here were built by Foven Construction Co Ltd.  For some years it was the Rectory, before the more modern building next door was constructed.  17 was built in part of the garden of Orchard Cottage (19).  And 21-25 were built by Brewster Estates Limited on land that was Cherry Orchard Farm.  The house itself was where the back gardens of 23 and 25 are today.

Going further back in time, St John's Lane was bordered by no less than three farms.  Numbers 1-17 (odd) and 2-12 (even) would have been part of Fairby Farm, odd numbers 19-25 were once part of Mintmakers, Church Road and the two remaining even numbers overlie the fields of Middle Farm.

Grange Way is a small cul-de-sac of mostly detached bungalows.  It was built in 1967-8 by the firm A P Clifford Limited of St Mary Cray.  The land for it was part of the back garden of Amphion (now called Avalon), Ash Road, which the owners (John and Gynneth Tate) sold for £13,500 on 5 July 1966.  Previously Mr Tate had got planning permission for 5 houses and 4 bungalows (Ref: TH/58/396; TH/64/1C). The Tates had owned the land since buying it from Smallowners Limited in 1915.  Southside and May Cottage are later additions.  They were built at the same time as Tates Orchard on the back garden of Brendon, Ash Road.

The status of road numbering for Grange Way is a bit uncertain.  According to the Post Office website only 2, 4, 5 and 7 have numbers and the others are names without numbers.  However all but Southside and May Cottage are numbered on the Ordnance Survey map.

House

Date

Notes

North Side

 

 

Ash Road entrance

 

 

1 (Glebe House)

1918

 

3 (The Rectory)

1968

 

5 (Breckland)

1968

 

7 (Brackenhurst)

1967

 

9 (Ralmar)

1967

 

11 (Foxbury)

1967

 

13 (Fairway)

1967

 

15 (Aspen Chance)

1967

 

17 (Rebalie)

1976

 

19 (Orchard Cottage)

1921

 

21 (Petramuir)

1964

 

23 (Feldberg)

1964

 

25 (Casa Girassol)

1964

 

Church Road entrance

 

 

South Side

 

 

Ash Road entrance

 

 

2

1978

 

4

1978

 

6

1978

 

8

1976

 

10

1976

 

12

1978

 

Billings Hill Shaw entrance

 

14

1978

 

16

1978

 

Church Road entrance

 

 

Grange Way

 

 

Clockwise from St Johns Lane

 

 

Footpath to Stocks Hill

 

 

3, Whitewood

1970

 

2

1970

 

1, Amphion

1970

 

Southside

1985

 

May Cottage

1985

 

4, Fairlawns

1968

 

5

1968

 

6, Coppins

1968

 

7, Brindles

1968

 

8, Kilchoan

1967

 Formerly called "Kemnal" (cn 1970), then "The Shaws" (cn 1976)

St John's Lane

 

 

Links
Map of area at Multimap.com (aerial photo also available on site)
Profile of St John's Lane / Grange Way on www.upmystreet.co.uk
Houseprices at Nethouseprices
Hartley Rectory